Wednesday, January 25, 2006

 

Hug it out?

A proud papa walks his kids to school in a staged photo-op. A nice touch by Harper to show the country he is a family man, but would it kill you to hug your kids? A handshake? Harper could continue to earn big points with the Tim Horton's hockey moms and dad's (and send a good message to his Christian footsoliders) if would just loosen up.

Parent advocate Colleen Longfield and other good Christian's will tell you, hugs are a parent's secret weapon.

A simple hug is a very powerful thing. There are a few compelling reasons to hug YOUR precious ones every single day.Hugs....- lower your blood pressure. Or at least feel like it. - nurture a team spirit. The family team, that is. - are free. So do it twice. - are what kids honestly crave. No matter what they say! - get kids' attention. And open their ears. - can melt multiple harsh words. For both you and your child. - make you smile! And it's tough to stay angry when you're smilin'. - model generosity of spirit. Give and you shall receive! - are the right way to welcome home someone weary from his or her day. - feel GREAT!

Many scientific studies have shown the positive effects of hugging. More importantly to me, I've seen the positive effects in my own family. As parents, we sometimes grope for the right words to inspire our children. We question our own choice of disciplinary tactics. We agonize over our apparent inadequacies in this most important of jobs. So hug. Hugging is virtually always helpful (especially when our children claim to not want it); soothing, comforting, and very hard to over-do, as long as you are sincere. Best of all, when the hugs start coming back at you, you'll know why 'Mom' or 'Dad' is the best title in the world!

Ok, I think I am going to be sick.

Comments:
Do you honestly believe his son wanted a photo of him hugging his dad splashed across the country. His son looks like the age where he is trying to distant himself from his parents and not want to look like a wuss in front of his friends. The kids probably expicitly stated that there will be no hugging in front of the cameras.

Where is the 100 day honeymoon he's not even the Prime Minister yet and you're nit-picking.

Keith
 
Gotta agree with Keith. That and though I don't like kids being used as photo ops, I don't think it is our place to tell Harper how to run his kids either.

Cheers,
 
Shaky

I agree with Keith. Yes this is a Conservative minority, yes Stephen Harper is the Prime Minister but it isn't the end of the world. Also does this aspect of Stephen Harper affect his policy making ability? Unless he is planning on instituting a 'no-hugging zone' at schools and other public areas then I think you can relax. really.
Kh
 
I don't think Harper is expecting a honeymoon unless he mistook those lovely attack ads as satire...
 
Man, if my dad tried to grab me and hug me for a photo-op, I'd have lost all respect for him. I stopped hugging my old man about the time I started going to school. Further, if he'd shaken my hand, I wouldn't see the harm in that.

F&B is right; it looks like the media honeymoon is over. Do us a favour - Write something significant about the new prime minister other than his relationship with his kids, would you?
 
And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when,
But we'll get together then.
You know we'll have a good time then."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home